Saturday, November 24, 2007

But I like them


I've followed the debate over wind farm power a bit; I'm from Long Island, and there's been resistance to the idea of an offshore wind farm there (much like the resistance to the proposed farm in Cap Cod). NIMBY and all that. I'm a bit perplexed by the environmentalist v. environmentalist schism around wind energy. I'm learning more about the pragmatic concerns all the time. And I love the East River equivalent.

But mostly I just think that windmills are gorgeous. They mesmerize me. All windmills, but in particular the modern incarnation. The couple of times I've traveled a bit in Europe, I was just giddy when we came upon windfarms in the middle of the countryside (in Portugal and in Germany) - they are like giant interactive landscape sculptures.

No comments: