Saturday, May 31, 2008

Evolution of a Brand

We've had a bit of a break from the house for the last week (after an all nighter and a week away from home). The most exciting thing we're doing right now is working on our website. The designer is Gabe, a friend of some friends, who is working for a generously modest price and in exchange for some free time in the house. The friends are helping with the architecture out of the goodness of their hearts. And its coming along great. We're working on a "logo" right now. Gabe asked for some parameters and he came up with two options on his first crack:




We gave him some feedback; we wanted the font a bit heavier and we wanted to see some options that incorporated a graphic element. He came up with these:


And then we asked him to mimic the lines of the house a little more closely, and here's where we are right now:


I think these are all pretty great. Sarah likes the second and third the best; I like them all, I think. Opinions?

7 comments:

Brandon said...

Of the final set, I agree that #2 stands out, although I'd like to see the blue "house" box tight against the white box like in #1. My second choice would be #3. Very much no on #s 5 & 6. #4 could be nice if you give up the translucency of the house shape over the blue box and make it a solid color.

I wish I had some useful service to trade for free time in the house!

Chris said...

I'm sure we could think of *something* to trade. Aren't you in California somewhere? Maybe one day we could just trade houses for a week...

Brandon said...

I'm not sure I'm ready to have an attentive set of eyes on my house quite yet. We still have to remodel the bathroom, and our garage/basement is a disaster. The neighborhood (Bernal Heights in SF) is a real gem, though. Typical San Francisco, however, means that there's only one bathroom. I'm not sure how that would work with three kids. Once our second son gets out of diapers, I'm not sure it will even work for us.

My wife really loves your part of the country, though. She lived in DC for a number of years, and is always trying to get us to visit out there. She's telling me that she's open to a house trade! I'll have to think about that...

Unknown said...

I like 3 and 4, I think it might be cute if you could put the front door in outline or the same shading, respectively.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Sarah -- 2 and 3 are by far better (I think I lean to number 2, but its close).

jb said...

My vote goes for #3!
I'm a graphic designer in CA and wish a cool project like this came my way once in awhile!

Unknown said...

I vote for No. 2.